Friday, November 20, 2009

The Wedding Dinner

Well, it's official (well not according to the state.. I still have to get my name changed but it's still pretty official) that I am now Mrs. Elizabeth Doney. I just got back from the honeymoon and so much has happened in the last couple of weeks I don't know where to start! I guess I am going to start with the wedding dinner....

Instead of doing a luncheon on the wedding day, we decided to have a dinner the night before. Trevor's parents hosted and it was absolutely perfect. The Doney's have sort of tradition at the dinner that soon to be couple asks people to talk about him or her. Trevor asked his Dad, Mom, and two brothers Mike and Chris.

Kevin, Papa Trevor, began his talk with a really funny story about Trevor. When Trevor was just old enough to drive, he was asked to give a youth talk in sacrament about fathers on Father Day. Kevin is in the stake presidency so he was going to have the opportunity to witness Trevor's talk from the stand. In the weeks prior to Father's Day, Kevin would ask Trevor if he had prepared anything for the talk to which Trevor would always reply that he "had a few notes written down." When Father's Day rolled around, Trevor's lack of preparation was evident. Trevor stood up and gave a talk that was about 37 seconds long. Kevin then said that this wedding dinner was the perfect opportunity for revenge and sat down. It was pretty hilarious. Kevin soon sat up and continued to talk about much Trevor always liked me. He taled about how before the mission he would encourage his sons not to steady date, and that everytime he would approach Trevor about dating me Trevor would rebuttal with a, "But dad, I like Liz." And also how after the mission (when Trevor would get beat up about dating someone so off and on) he would always rebuttal with the same, "But I like Liz."

Tracey, Mama Trevor, talked about how cute Trevor was as baby, how when Trevor's stressed he will never admit it but it will just show on his face, and then her voice broke (and I was fighting back tears) when she said, "Whenever Trevor leaves the house he always says, 'bye mama.'" I always hear all these horror stories about overbearing, psycho mother-in-laws, and I always feel guilty because I just happened to stumble onto the sweetest one.

Trevor's brother, Mike, talked about how Trevor was always willing to come help him on all the half-brained shananigans he would come up with (making shoes, building cannons, air soft guns, potato guns, the list goes on). But that he knew Trevor and I were talking about getting married when he approached Trevor to buy minibikes off of KSL, and Trevor said no. Mike ended by saying that after we get married, I still have to let Trevor play every once in a while. Haha, NOT going to happen! Just kidding. :)

Chris talked about how excited he was for us, and also for me to become a part of the family. Just one quick funny thing that he said was that before you get to know the Doney family you think they are all of bunch of jerks, and then you get to know us and you discover that we are all just a bunch of bigger jerks.

From my side of the family, I asked my parents, my brother and his wife, Michelle. My brother began, and he made a comment that sort of implied that Trevor wasn't a go-getter (but he totally didn't mean it that way). So when Michelle got up, she threw out everything she had prepared for her talk and solely focused on talking up Trevor! My mama argued with Tracey on how I was definitely cuter than Trevor as a baby, and my dad finished with giving Trevor and me advice for marriage. I saved what he had written, so I feel I don't have to write about it as much here. :)

After the dinner was over, we went to the church to decorate. We waited for what seemed like forever waiting for the lady who was going to help decorate the church come. Finally my called her and we realized that we had given her the wrong address, the same wrong address that we had printed on all of our reception invitations! When she finally did arrive, she came with table clothes that had left over food crumbs and stains for the night before! Funny sidenote, one of Trevor's best men, Matt Monson, went to talk to her about it and it was hilarious! Matt's such a funny character. Anyways, even though not everything was hunky dory and we had a huge address dilemma, I went to bed the happiest soon to be Mrs. in all the world. Most people say that the night before there wedding they don't get any shut eye! Not me! I slept like baby, through both of my alarms, and woke up two hours late.

No comments: