Monday, March 1, 2010

By This Shall Men Know....


Most of you have probably heard of the Hymn, "Love One Another." If not, here is the one and only verse:

"As I have loved you, Love one another.

This new commandment love one another.

By this shall men know, ye are my disciples.

If ye have love One to another."


This is a song I, like most other LDS children, was taught in Primary (before I could read). Anyways, the way the song is always sung it sounds like "by this shalmeno" instead of "by this shall men know." The words just run together and so until I was about 20 years old I always thought that "shalmeno" was a word and that by the way that the word was used in the song I deducted that "shalmeno" was another word for commandment. Which works people if you think about it!! Observe, "by this commandment, ye are my disciples." Yeah....now that I think of that it really doesn't work, but I was young and the words ran together!!


So, on the way home from church I decided to tell Trevor how funny it was that it took me 20 years to realize that "shalmeno" was a word that I made up when I was in Primary. And oh did I have it! He thought it was just hilarious, and if any of you have ever met a Doney boy you'll soon discover that if they get something to make fun of they just keep on rolling with the jokes. He came up with jokes where I would be asking the bishop what a "shalmeno" was and that the bishop would reply, "Well, Pimento, sweetie, that is just a type of fancy olive." Or that the bishop would reply, "Well, darling, you sing your ABC's, ellemeno not shalmeno." Where does he come up with this stuff?


Matters only got worse when I began to ask him a question about the lesson we had in Gospel Doctrine which was from the book of Abraham and Moses. For some reason, when I started to ask him, I forgot which book my question was from, and it came out something like "from the book of Mobram?" Yep, Mobram. He just loved it. After 15 minutes after loving "Mobram" so much he decided that that is what he will name our first puppy. He told me to write it down somewhere so he wouldn't forget, so here it is.


Well, anyways, I am so glad I've found someone who makes me laugh as much as Trevor does. Honestly, I am ALWAYS laughing, which is the only way I ever want to spent my time.

2 comments:

Loftus' said...

hahahaha!! Love it! I guess it's good you both have a sense of humor or this story wouldn't be so funny!

Doney Days said...

Hahaha! Ya, you'll never live that down!